KM Perform Express

Filed under Critics' Corner

One-Acts Review Part Two

Back to Article
Back to Article

One-Acts Review Part Two

Trifles Impresses Audiences During the One Acts

Shortly after Halloween, a cold, dark night provided the perfect time for a murder mystery. Audiences were undoubtedly surprised when seeing Kettle Moraine High School’s performance of Trifles. Bringing together drama-infuzed acting from the leading performers and a bone-chilling plot written by Susan Glaspell in 1916, theatergoers were amused while watching a murder mystery unfold.

In this story about two female self-declared detectives uncovering the cause of a murder in their town, Grace Provan’s direction really shines; each scene was carefully timed out to showcase each performer’s strengths, such as the time when Mrs. Hale bumped into a chair and appeared thoroughly shaken by her misstep.

Carmen Castello and Claire Vock’s portrayals of protagonists Mrs. Hale and Mrs. Peters, respectively, stole the show by bringing these thoughtful, detail-oriented women to life using eerie tones and intentional line delivery. The male characters in the show, portrayed by Gabrielle Kalix, Gwyn Martin, and Teague Peterson (in order of appearance), were also well presented.  Young performers often disengage when not delivering lines; however, these actors remained present and invested throughout the performance.

Well-lit with a very natural feel, Trifles made good use of its many props. Costumes were intricate and the designs seemed cohesive with the setting. But whether it was low mic volume or quiet voices, some audience members occasionally struggled to hear all of the lines.

Trifles was an entertaining piece that contrasted well with the other performances in the triple feature. Audiences can look forward to another production of Grace Provan’s after this solid directorial debut.

Tall Tales: A Trip Down Honesty Lane

Audiences were humbled after seeing Kettle Moraine High School’s performance of Tall Tales. With a show that featured a “too real for comfort” story and a solid cast, theatergoers sat reminiscing about the time when ignorance really was bliss.

In this tale, a young girl faces the consequences of her foolish actions after choosing to disregard imperfections in her life. All she wanted was to keep her blissful naiveté, but she ended up ruining her home through an act of selfishness. Ms. Kean’s thoughtful direction made each scene memorable, but the fight scene left room for improvement because of its unrealistic blows and reactions.

KMHS found a real gem in Kyra Mathias as the young Mary Anne Rowen. Her accent was spot-on and her character was well-developed. She maintained Mary Anne’s youthfulness, yet was still able to bring in a sense of maturity in her performance. In addition, Megan Alaimo did a fantastic job opening and closing the play with heart-wrenching monologues and consistency in her accent.

The show was naturally lit and made good use of its many props. The direction provided viewers with a clear idea of the setting, despite the fact that the sets were minimalistic. Through dialogue, actors described the settings around them, and the audience could visualize the set as if it was actually there. The costumes also proved to be time-period appropriate and made the age of each character very clear.

The show touched on the heartfelt topic of remembering a time when people were young and innocent – when joy was untampered by reality. As a fast-paced drama, Tall Tales was an interesting and heartfelt show.

Original Stage Play Script The Price of Admission by Teague Peterson Entertains at Kettle Moraine High School

During The Price of Admission, audiences related to protagonists Erica, Jen, and Phil as they struggled with the college application process. Producing a well-written play with many hilarious lines and scenes, Teague Peterson didn’t disappoint. Peterson worked with Lizzie Hitchcock to provide the show with good blocking and impressive casting.

In this mad-cat misadventure, Erica, Jen, and Phil, a group of hopeful teens, all have equal chances of becoming valedictorian, a title they believe would give them better chances of getting into their dream school, UChicago. For the popular student vote to decide who is best suited for the job, each person (except for Phil) is constantly trying to sabotage the other students in their efforts.

The three leads of The Price of Admission, Gwyn Martin, Chelsea Rowley, and Jarret Ripperger, were full of enthusiasm as they performed the roles of Erica, Jen, and Phil, respectively. But, this cast also featured strong secondary roles and ensemble members, including Briana Medina (Martha) and Bryden Murphy (Doug). The ensemble stayed in the moment during each scene and provided a lovely atmosphere for the story.

The show was well-lit and piled to the brim with set pieces. Though the additional pieces added to a lot to the story, it took too long bring them on and off the stage. The costumes, however, were absolutely perfect, from the shoes of the students to the cigarette of the addicted teacher.

A unique and exciting story, The Price of Admission somewhat resembled a Disney television show. Ending the One Acts on a high note with a well written play, Teague Peterson’s piece was amusing for audiences both young and old.

The cast of The Price of Admission after a successful show.