Go Big or Go Home!

Back to Article
Back to Article

Go Big or Go Home!

Photos courtesy of Asher Schleich

Photos courtesy of Asher Schleich

Photos courtesy of Asher Schleich

Photos courtesy of Asher Schleich

Kettle Moraine School for Arts and Performance (KM Perform) has produced several art-based seminars over the past several years. Mr. Weber’s “Go Big or Go Home” seminar focused on taking that art and making it big. Students were tasked with creating a project based on a couple of weeks of research, then taking that research and putting it on a large canvas or paper. The artwork created will be displayed at the upcoming KM Perform Up-Close event.

Mr. Weber was not only supervising the students, but working to improve his own art. Though he is a Writing Focus mentor, Mr. Weber comments, “I have always been interested in drawing, but it wasn’t until a few years ago that I began to take it seriously. Thanks to the teachers and students in the Art Focus, I have been able to improve dramatically.” When asked about the idea behind the seminar he said, “I wanted to run a seminar where students were making big art. I like to draw really big pieces, and I thought the students might like it as well.” Mr. Weber worked alongside his students to finish up a series of large scale drawings of his interpretation of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse.

One of the students participating in the seminar is junior Writing Focus Riley Haller. Haller explains, “I have been working on a large acrylic painting of a creature known as the Jorōgumo, which is a half-woman, half-spider from Japanese mythology. I designed what I thought the monster would look like, sketched it out a few times, and then transferred that drawing to a larger canvas using paints and sharpie markers.” Haller’s painting is depicted on the left. She also notes that she “…wanted to experiment with posing, branch out in my color palette and research an interesting mythological subject. I want to improve my ability to use acrylic paints…”

Students were able to make use of the space in the Creative Lab; they “took-over” a corner to specifically work on their art. The students used their space to research their topics as well as get their hands dirty and create. “I’d never done an art piece bigger than a poster, so I figured it was a good opportunity to make something completely new,” states Haller. These creations are currently on display in the hallway outside of the Community Room. The artwork will also be on display during the KM Perform Up-Close event for all visitors and families to see. Come to Kettle Moraine High School on January 17th from 6:00-7:30 PM to check out all of their hard work!