Building a Business!

Photo courtesy of Small Business Trends

As artists, we are constantly asking questions. What color scheme would be best for this painting? How much canvas am I going to need for this project? How do I get my work out there? How would I go about creating my own business? The class offered this past seminar series with Mr. Keefe explained just that!

From aesthetics to budgeting, Mr. Keefe, a Kettle Moraine for Arts and Performance (KM Perform) visual arts mentor, took us through the “ins and outs” of our own businesses. Working with two other people (our business partners), we were expected to do some brainstorming on what kind of businesses we wanted to start. Not only did this offer creative freedom, but it also gave us the opportunity to really consider what kind of businesses we might like to be running in the future.

I decided to reach out to a KM Perform senior, Quinn Jensen, to get another take on the topic:. “I used to think that if you didn’t have money, it would be really easy to get it. Now that I’ve had to buy items that go into making a business, I know that it takes a lot of money in order to buy the things that I need, instead of the things I want.”

During this class, we were presented with realistic numbers and expected to budget our businesses accordingly. Students had to take into account the amount of product they were going to produce and sell, the income they would obtain, and the amount of money they planned to pay their employees.

There was a certain amount of creative freedom in the seminar that allowed students to personalize their business plans. The class wasn’t just about budgeting and marketing, although that did play a huge role. There was a certain aesthetic aspect that students had to consider. What was our business going to look like? Would the interior of the store be light or dark? These are the questions we had to consider.

As artists, we need to get our work into the world. Whether that be digitally or in a physical place, the skills needed aren’t typically taught in a traditional school. The students in this class are extremely grateful for the opportunity to learn these financial and business skills that can help us later in life. On behalf of myself and my classmates in this seminar, thanks, Mr. Keefe!