America’s Controversy

Back to Article
Back to Article

America’s Controversy

Austria and America have very little in common at first glance. That was the initial concept for Mr. Weber’s seminar “Political Spectrum: Making Videos to Show Both Sides of Issues.” The seminar asks Kettle Moraine School for Arts and Performance (KM Perform) students to form small filming teams. Each team chose a controversial American topic (i.e. abortion, gun control, gay marriage rights, racism, etc.) and took a deep dive into what the topic meant to America and why it was important to its culture. These videos will be sent to Austrian students, and will be used to further the information they have concerning historical American topics.

The seminar was greatly inspired by a teacher exchange program earlier this year, in which a collection of teachers from different schools were sent over to Austria to learn educational techniques, and Austrian teachers were, in turn, sent to the US to learn. Throughout the class so far, students have finished scripting, storyboarding and researching, gathering all of their information to begin filming. The video projects are separate in most ways, some going stern and informational, while others go further  towards the comedic side of things.

Hopefully, the videos will go on to inform the Austrian students that America isn’t all cowboy hats and shotguns, as some students thought. The goal of the seminar is to thoroughly educate other countries on controversial American topics, and as of right now, it looks like that’s exactly what’s going to happen.