KM Perform Express

Filed under Latest Issue, Showcase

The Hate U Give

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Hate U Give

The Hate U Give is a book that follows the life of an African American teenager as she encounters racism and police brutality, which is only magnified after she witnesses her black friend getting wrongfully murdered by the police. Senior music focus Maggie Kunesh read The Hate U Give and was inspired to share protagonist Starr’s story with fellow students at Kettle Moraine School for Arts and Performance (KM Perform).

Kunesh believes that the novel will allow students to “empathize [with] and have a little more understanding of a different culture,” even though it’s a fictional piece. According to Kunesh: “I feel that, being a caucasian citizen, I don’t truly understand what it is like to be on the other side of the news broadcasts. I don’t know what it is like to have stereotypes that degrade every part of my existence. Being in a predominantly white school, I feel that we all have ignorance to what really happens or what it’s like being black. We live thirty minutes from the one of the most segregated cities in the country; I feel it is our job to understand, or at least empathize, what it is like for people who do live on the north side of Milwaukee. I think it is important to spread awareness and understanding of racism and police brutality, and the easiest way to do that is to read about it.” This is a subject that Kunesh is very passionate about.

Kunesh continues: “I think [the novel] opens people’s eyes to the other side of the story of many unarmed black police brutality victims. The novel gives you so many perspectives [from] each side of the story that it makes it relatable to everyone no matter [what] their stance is. I feel that, being caucasian, I don’t have to understand what it is like living two separate lives like Starr Carter does in the novel. She goes to Williamson, her high school in a predominantly white and wealthy neighborhood, and acts completely different from when she is in Garden Heights, her hometown that is populated with majority of African Americans.  

Maggie Kunesh was touched by this novel and decided to teach other students about it. Many students leave the class understanding the other side. This is what Maggie enjoys about KM Perform, the school allows you to present interesting seminar ideas that when approved, allow you to teach others about important subjects that the traditional high school may not have allowed.