Talk, Sip, Create!

Back to Article
Back to Article

Talk, Sip, Create!

Photo courtesy of Lily Gyles

Photo courtesy of Lily Gyles

Photo courtesy of Lily Gyles

Photo courtesy of Lily Gyles

Every year in Kettle Moraine School for Arts and Performance (KM Perform), Writing Focus mentor Mr. Weber hosts at least one seminar at the neighborhood coffee shop, Mama D’s, located in Wales, Wisconsin. This time around, Mama D’s was filled with creative writers and artists every 1st hour on Blue days for “Calling All Artists and Writers!” This seminar allowed students who wanted to create and get feedback on art and writing to do so in an open, public space while treating themselves to one of the many drinks, desserts, or meals. Students, employees, and teachers alike were thrilled to be able to use a platform such as KM Perform to have kids express their creativity outside, allowing for individual learning. 

Some students went into the seminar knowing what they would work on, while others decided to let their imaginations take charge and gather inspiration from friends and fellow students from the class. Art Focus junior Bradley Lytge went into the class with an open mind and let his creativity and pencil do the talking. Other students intended to finish a long-awaited project, grateful for the opportunity. Music Focus freshman Kyra Mathias worked on a horror story she began in a previous seminar. This seminar was the perfect opportunity for her to receive feedback from peers as well as experienced writers.

This class had very limited availability, and when students were asked why they chose this class they all had a similar answer. Mathias said, “[I chose this seminar] because it gave me the opportunity to learn from my peers, which is what [KM] Perform is all about… It [has given] me the chance to pursue something outside of my focus [area], writing.” According to many, the most beneficial part was the environment outside of school that allowed for gathering feedback from peers. Mathias says, “Being in the same rooms can take the excitement out of classes. Having a class like this in a coffee shop works as an incentive for people to get their work done…As summer approaches, the weather is nice out, so the walk to and from Mama D’s is really refreshing… I think there should [be] classes similar to this offered throughout the school year. I like the idea that it is interdisciplinary, because all the arts go hand in hand.” Instructor and Writing Focus mentor Mr. Weber says, “Feedback is important to get a better idea of how an audience will receive our art. It is important to see our art through their lens so we can be certain that the message we are trying to express is as clear as possible.”

While students work, they may crave something sweet to eat or some freshly made coffee, and Mama D’s is ready to provide. One employee says, “Everyone comes in knowing exactly what they want, and we are ready to give it to them to the best of our abilities.” With its quaint setting, the coffee shop provides a space where students can indulge and work either in the indoor and outdoor seating areas. 

One employee says she wished classes in places like coffee shops were available to her when she was in school because it would have taken her outside of the classic environment and allowed her to explore. A lot of art comes out of classes like these in the form of writing and visual art, and Mama D’s loves being the hosting space for students and seeing all of the art that comes out of it.