Kettle Moraine High School’s 2019 Mosaic Concert

Back to Article
Back to Article

Photo courtesy of Kettle Moraine Music

Photo courtesy of Kettle Moraine Music

Photo courtesy of Kettle Moraine Music

Photo courtesy of Kettle Moraine Music

Kettle Moraine High School’s A Capella Choir and Chamber Orchestra joined forces to put on a sensational performance during the Mosaic Concert on April 16th. The concert featured KM Alumni Saira Frank as a soloist, and was led by choir directors Todd Jaeger and Jennifer Schwingle, and orchestra director Thomas Elmer. 

The Mosaic Concert is an annual collaboration at KM, in which the A Capella Choir, Chamber Singers, and Chamber Orchestra work together on a collection of music. Rather than performing their pieces separately, as they normally do, they are given the opportunity to not only work with each other, but play together as well. “Only a few times in previous positions have I had the opportunity to collaborate artistically with other ensembles at school,” said KM Orchestra Director Thomas Elmer. The Mosaic Concert requires a lot more coordination and practice, which always brings about new experiences for both students and teachers.

In previous years, the Mosaic Concert featured multiple movements from one long piece, but this year, the concert consisted of several independent pieces, ranging from classical to opera. Highlights include vocal soloist Saira Frank in the piece “Under the Willow Tree” from Samuel Barber’s opera, Vanessa, and vocal soloist Grace McMahon singing “Laudate Dominum” by Wolfgang Mozart. While this year’s concert was half the length of previous years’, the content was much more refined, and the energy between ensembles was well synchronized.

“I enjoyed quite a bit working on this project with Mr. Jaeger and Ms. Schwingle,” said Elmer. Before the 2019 Mosaic Concert, Elmer only had a few other experiences with coordinating more than one ensemble. Despite this, Elmer was able to work well with the other directors to provide the audience with one of the best Mosaic Concerts to date. “The orchestra played so very well! And the A Cappella Choir sounded very professional on all the selections they performed,” said Choir Director Todd Jaeger. 

This concert was one of a few remaining concerts to wrap up the year, each one pushing the limits of staff and students alike to master each piece. While the students have a slight break from practice and preparation during the summer, Mr. Jaeger, Ms. Schwingle, and Mr. Elmer are preparing to build on this year’s success in future concerts at the start of the next school year.