State Fair: Summer Musical 2019

Back to Article
Back to Article

State Fair: Summer Musical 2019

The Kettle Moraine Summer Academy has announced this year’s summer musical: Rodgers and Hammerstein’s State Fair. A classic favorite, this heartwarming tale of the heartland has themes that withstand the test of time.

“For State Fair, there was a group dance audition, in which students learned a short segment of choreography, then performed in small groups,” said Ms. Schwingle, KMHS choir teacher and Summer Academy Musical Director. Callback auditions were then held, and during these auditions, students of all grades read excerpts from the script. Those who auditioned left Schwingle excited to “[work] with our group of dedicated and enthusiastic students, and [see] the growth and development of all actors.”

As Musical Director, Schwingle will work with cast members, including soloists, on all the music, as well as collaborate with Orchestra Director Mr. Elmer to “combine the instrumental score with all of the songs.” Besides Ms. Schwingle, Mrs. Beal and Mr. Jaeger have jobs of equal importance, with Jaeger directing as well as co-producing with Beal. The director is the person in charge of the overall show, which includes making artistic decisions, interpreting characters’ motivation, and scheduling. The producer, on the other hand, oversees all parts of the production, from financial decisions to hiring personnel to publicity.

With so many exciting things happening leading up to performances for State Fair, it can be hard to pinpoint what one thing students and staff alike are anticipating the most. “I am most looking forward to working with our talented and motivated cast,” said Jaeger. Schwingle is most excited to “[see students with] lead roles for the first time and see them in a new light!” Beal is thrilled to work “with her talented marketing team of students” as well as enjoying “the feeling of working with such talented peers and kids.” However, the anticipation is palpable among students as well. With every show comes a new set of challenges, and the company needs to be ready to face them. Jaeger feels as if the biggest challenge will be the timing for this production, but other concerns are sure to arise as they begin rehearsals. Regardless of the hurdles they may face, the cast, crew, and directors are excited for opening night.

Schwingle wishes for everyone to come see the show! It runs from July 17th through July 20th. Don’t miss out on the chance to see State Fair at Kettle Moraine High School this summer.