What’s the Tea About Mama D’s?

Back to Article
Back to Article

What’s the Tea About Mama D’s?

Photo courtesy of Loving Lake Country

Photo courtesy of Loving Lake Country

Photo courtesy of Loving Lake Country

Photo courtesy of Loving Lake Country

If you attend school on the Kettle Moraine High School campus, you’ve probably been to or at least heard of Mama D’s. Mama D’s is a chain of coffee shops with locations in Wales, Genesee Depot, and Waukesha. But most commonly known among KM’s high school students is the little shop in Wales, Wisconsin that started it all. 

Mama D’s all began when the owner of the chain, Diane Markus, was inspired by an old bank. Diane, also known as “Mama D,” discovered the historic 1912 building and decided to fulfill her lifelong dream of owning a coffee shop. The high ceilings and lighting in the shop stood out to her, and, ultimately, the building won her over, and she transformed it into the coffee shop known as Mama D’s. 

Each of the Mama D’s locations have different hours. The first is location in Wales is open Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday from 6:00 AM to 8:00 PM, Thursday from 6:00 AM to 9:00 PM, and Saturday & Sunday from 7:00 AM to 8:00 PM. The second shop is located in Waukesha. They are open Monday through Friday from 6:00 AM to 6:00 PM and Saturday & Sunday from 7:00 AM to 3:00 PM. The third is located in Genesee Depot, and is open Monday through Friday from 6:00 AM to 4:00 PM and Saturday & Sunday from 7:00 AM to 3:00 PM. 

Mama D’s offers an array of options for any time of the day. As far as food goes, Mama D’s serves soups, salads, sandwiches, and paninis. They also have breakfast served all day that includes quiches, breakfast sandwiches and burritos, egg bakes, bagels, oatmeal, and parfait. They also have kid’s lunches along with a bakery, which includes cookies, cakes, muffins, and bars. 

From smoothies to tea and coffee, Mama D’s has many different drinks to offer customers. Mama D’s wouldn’t be a coffee shop without the coffee, and there is a lot to choose from. They serve mochas, espressos, americanos, cappuccinos, lattes, iced coffees, and more. If coffee isn’t your thing, they also have an array of non-coffee alternatives, such as tea, hot cocoa, lemonade, Italian soda, and even ice cream floats. They also have blended drinks, which include smoothies, fruit storms, and ice storm frappe, each with different flavors to choose from.

Mama D’s is also host to many artists and events. There are often local musicians performing at the different locations, including Stan Markus who performs quite regularly. Some upcoming events at the Wales location include a poetry night that was held on October 18th from 6 to 8 PM. There will also be an open mic night from 6:30 to 9:00 PM on the 26th.

Mama D’s not only has a variety of food and drinks that can accommodate different diets but also serves as a place for local events. What started out as an old building and a dream has sprung into a thriving chain of coffee shops. With its great location and all that it has to offer, Mama D’s has become not only a hangout spot for the students of Kettle Moraine but also a gathering place for many in the community.

Blurb: Have you ever heard of Mama D’s? Have you ever visited one of the three Mama D’s locations? Regardless of your answers to either of those questions, you should read this article to find out more about the backstory of this chain of coffee shops. You can also learn more about the food, drinks, and events Mama D’s has to offer.