2019 One-Act Festival

Back to Article
Back to Article

2019 One-Act Festival

The 2019 One-Act Festival was a great success! The school year is off to a terrific start thanks to the student-directed one-acts. Each “one-act” is a small play comprised of one act, as opposed to a normal play which has multiple. This September, we had five student directors who were thrilled to show off their hard work. This year’s one-acts featured some exceptionally talented actors who couldn’t wait to take the stage.

This year’s one-acts included The Game (directed by junior Grace Provan), The Proposal (directed by sophomore Kyra Mathias), A World Without Memory (directed by senior Laura Laberge), Overtones (directed by sophomore Jane Jensen) and An Absolutely True Story (As Told By a Bunch of Lying Liars) (directed by senior Eleni Tzougros). Each director attends Kettle Moraine School for Arts and Performance (KM Perform).

“I picked the show World Without Memory because I was genuinely touched by the story, and it was a perfect mix of drama and comedy in a show for me.” Laura Laberge is one of two seniors directing this year. This is her first time directing, and it will be her last here at Kettle Moraine High School. World Without Memory is the story of a woman named Anne whose entire past is slipping away from her. Her daughter Robin tries desperately throughout the play to keep her mom from being forgetful. According to Laberge, “Not only does this script tell a very real story of struggles that many families have to deal with, but it also leaves me laughing, crying, and sitting on the edge of my seat.” This well-written drama touched on the reality of family relationships as well as the reality of living with people suffering from dementia. “I wouldn’t exchange this experience for anything. I am beyond grateful for having worked with these incredible students on this show, and I am so excited for myself and the audience to see the final product next week.”

“I chose The Proposal, because I love the story. Not only is it funny, but even after a century it is still relevant.” Kyra Mathias is one of two sophomores directing this year. This fall, Kyra took on the one-act The Proposal by Anton Chekhov. This was Kyra’s first time directing at Kettle Moraine High School, and she was exhilarated to show the audience her work. Mathias stated, “The best parts of my show are a result of giving my actors the freedom to explore their character.” The Proposal is about how a boy named Ivan wants to ask his neighbor’s daughter Natalya for her hand in marriage. The only trouble is, they’re both supremely argumentative. This contemporary comedy involved two main characters who desperately want to marry each other for economic security, while becoming unaware of the fact that they wouldn’t get along well together. “As a director, I learn from my cast every day. I couldn’t have asked for a better opportunity to grow as an actor.”

The cast and crew for the 2019 One-Act Festival worked nonstop for three months to make each show astounding. Thanks to all who came out to support the KM Drama Club and see these dramatic, feel-good, and comedic productions!