Portfolio Spotlight: Nikkita Parsons

Back to Article
Back to Article

Portfolio Spotlight: Nikkita Parsons

Portfolios are projects that seniors in Kettle Moraine School for Arts and Performance (KM Perform) do as their end of school capstone.They are designed by the students and showcases what that student is passionate about, usually being connected to that student’s focus area. There is a huge variety when it comes to portfolios as they can be speeches, sculptures, one acts, or anything in between.

There are always seniors and even juniors in KM Perform working on their projects, so feel free to talk to any one of them if you have any questions. Portfolios are always unique, creative, and demonstrate the student’s passion. There is even a class centered solely around helping students with their portfolios taught by Mr. Langenecker during Blocks 1 and 4 on Gold days. Every student is required to take this class at some point, but juniors usually attend to help them brainstorm and get a jump start on their portfolio. 

Nikkita Parsons is doing a portfolio project inspired by Jon Cozart’s “After Ever After” music video. Her idea is to recreate the song using her own voice and creativity. Having a focus in theater with a musical emphasis was the perfect fit for when Parsons stumbled across this childhood video. Having Disney in her life has helped with all the times she moved from place to place because she could always read a Disney book or watch a Disney movie, so her portfolio project really reflects her love of both music and Disney. 

Parsons will be using her background in theater and music to create her own music video. She will record herself as four different princesses, composing her own lyrics to go with five classic Disney songs. She hopes to hold a recital located in the KM Black Box Theater in spring, during which many Disney songs will be performed; at the end, her video will be played. All she needs to do to make her dream a reality is to get her idea approved by her mentor and then the Governance Council, and she can start performing!

All KM Perform seniors create portfolios. Seniors can do select to do a project that directly reflects their passion, such as a presentation, play, recital, or speech for their portfolio. There are also always juniors and seniors in KM Perform who love answering questions about portfolio projects. With any questions talk to students or Mr. Langenecker, and happy portfolio making!